Hoisting Beams in Amsterdam

Amsterdam is beaming with hoisting beams. Previously I associated hoisting beams solely with old merchant's homes, but unlike other port cities where I've seen them, in Amsterdam they are found not only on the old canal houses, but all over the city, including on ordinary residential buildings.

Due to fifteenth century planning laws, facades of buildings were built of lightweight materials with large windows to reduce weight. The smaller the width of the frontage, the lower taxes had to paid. In the seventeenth century, the city became more prosperous and thus wider, double-fronted merchant's homes sprung up.  The merchant's houses had attics and cellars which served as storage spaces for the goods that were transported by boat.

Since the houses were so narrow, the stairwells were too steep and narrow, making it largely impossible to carry up goods or furniture into the home. Thus beams were attached to the gables in order to hoist up (with a pulley and rope) large objects and load them through the large windows.

Another feature of the old buildings is their slight forward slant, which helps prevent the objects from colliding with the building facades as they are hoisted up.

Interestingly, newer buildings from later centuries also were built with narrow stairwells and hoisting beams. It seems certain building regulations or planning laws lasted well into the twentieth century. (Or maybe it was just because they wanted to keep up the old tradition and style.)

In any case, Amsterdam's hoisting beams have not become obsolete. Though the ones on the centuries-old canal houses may no longer hoist up commodities, they are nevertheless a necessary feature used to lift furniture in the modern residential spaces, just as they are still used on the newer buildings around the city.






















Comments

  1. Due to more value to Estate people are remain under debt and mortgage find a solution contact a mortgage broker.

    Bad Credit Mortgages

    ReplyDelete
  2. My name is RO Hee Mah from france, I contacted Mrs Carroll Walker Company for a business loan amount of $40,000. Then i was told about the step of approving my requested loan amount, after taking the risk again because i was so much desperate of setting up a business to my greatest surprise, the loan amount was credited to my bank account within 24 banking hours without any stress of getting my loan. I was surprise because i was first fall a victim of scam! If you are interested of securing any loan amount & you are located in any country, I'll advise you can contact Mrs. Carroll Walker Company via email: Contact him through the email . infoloanfirm247@gmail.com

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi everyone I am Hearry Begi, How i got the right doctor for my kidney donation, I saw comments from people who had already received their donor payment of the sum of $500,000,000 for been a kidney donor and then decided to apply under their advice and a few hours ago I confirmed in my personal bank account a total amount of $500,000 that I had requested for one donation This is really great news and I am advising anyone in need of a real donor to apply through their email (doctordavidmike@gmail.com). I am happy now that I have obtained requested of been a full donor.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi everyone I am Hearry Begi, How i got the right doctor for my kidney donation, I saw comments from people who had already received their donor payment of the sum of $500,000,000 for been a kidney donor and then decided to apply under their advice and a few hours ago I confirmed in my personal bank account a total amount of $500,000 that I had requested for one donation This is really great news and I am advising anyone in need of a real donor to apply through their email (doctordavidmike@gmail.com). I am happy now that I have obtained requested of been a full donor.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Get mechanical conveyor belt lifter and Battery Operated Mechanical Belt Lifter from one of the best and trusted brand so that all your work get easy and convenient in every possible way.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

The Ukrainian Alphabet and the Soft Sign

The Archaic Language of the Ukrainian Diaspora