Chimney Sweep Sign in Lviv

Lviv, like most cities in the nineteenth century, needed chimney sweeps to keep chimneys clean from the soot that accumulated from burning coal.

The bas-relief of a chimney sweep on Anhelovycha Street is one of the only reminders of the era of chimney sweeps. At the beginning of the twentieth century, the owner of the building which has the sign was a master in chimney cleaning. 


Several years ago, the restaurant Dim Lehend (House of Legends) installed a statue of a chimney sweep on the building's chimney.

A wonderful song about a chimney sweep by the band the Decemberists


                                                           "The Chimbley Sweep"

I am a chimbley, a chimbley sweep
No bed to lie, no shoes to hold my feet
Upon the rooftops in dead of night
You'll hear me cry, I'll shake you from your sleep

To hear me weep
"Your day will come indeed
For I am a poor and a wretched boy
A chimbley, chimbley sweep."

I am an orphan, an orphan boy
I've known no love, I've seen no mother's joy
A dirty doorstep my cradle laid
My fortune's made, I'll shake you from your sleep

To hear me weep
"Your day will come indeed
For I am a poor and a wretched boy
A chimbley, chimbley sweep."

"O lonely urchin!" the widow cried,
"I've not been swept since the day my husband died."
Her cheeks are blushing, her legs laid bare
And shipwrecked there, I'll shake you from your sleep

To hear me weep
"Your day will come indeed
For I am a poor and a wretched boy
A chimbley, chimbley sweep."

For I am a poor and a wretched boy
A chimbley, chimbley sweep

Comments

  1. I agree that we need to take a chimney sweeps in panama city when it's needed. Thanks for writing a nice blog.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Dear,

    I like Your Blog Very Much..I see Daily Your Blog ,is A Very Useful For me.

    Professional gas fireplace service & gas fireplace repair Chimney Sweep in Vancouver. Chimney cleaning & Chimney sweep | Quick | On Time | Reliable | Call Now: 604-970-7941


    Visit Here - http://911fireplace.ca/

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks for taking the time to discuss and share this with us, I for one feel strongly about it and really enjoyed learning more about this topic. Please share some more useful info on LVIV NATIONAL MEDICAL UNIVERSITY also. I can see that you possess a degree of expertise on this subject.

    ReplyDelete
  4. This paragraph gives clear idea for the new viewers of blogging,Thanks you .
    Chimney Cleaning Services in Torrington, Connecticuts

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hey Dear,

    Great job is here on Fireplace Repair

    You are so interesting! I don't believe I've truly read through anything like that before. So wonderful..

    Professional Gas Fireplace Service & Gas Fireplace Repair In Vancouver Bc Chimney Cleaning & Sweep | Quick | On Time | Reliable|Call Now: 604-970-7941

    ReplyDelete
  6. Such a unique Post! so if you wont to service of Chimney liner then just visit her Chimney Sweep London

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hi Dear,
    Thanks for sharing such a useful blog. Really! This Blog is very informative for us which contains a lot of information about the repair Service. I like this post.

    Please visit at "Fireplace Service", I hope you may like our Service,

    Visit Here - http://911fireplace.ca/

    Thanks

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hi Dear,
    Thanks for sharing such a useful blog. Really! This Blog is very informative for us which contains a lot of information about the repair Service. I like this post.

    Please visit at "Fireplace service in vancouver", I hope you may like our Service,

    Visit Here - http://911fireplace.ca/

    Thanks

    ReplyDelete
  9. You are sharing good information about
    Chimney Cleaning Service, Duluth. Keep sharing more to increase our knowledge.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Thank you so much for sharing. Keep updating your blog. It will very useful to the many users
    Chimney Repair & Services Provider in Gurgaon
    Chimney Repair & Services Provider in Dwarka

    ReplyDelete
  11. If you are looking for best roofers in town and want to update your roof then you sohuld visit ROOFERS FERRYBRIDGE because we have the best worker and experienced worker of roofing which will do your roofing work on time and give the best look to your roof.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Your post is providing some really good information. I liked its essence and enjoyed reading it. Keep sharing such important posts about this blog and its much more helpful for us .Chimney Cleaning in Jamshedpur

    ReplyDelete
  13. It verbalizes a limitless imagination. I am totally impressed with the factual transformation skill of author used for transforming his thoughts and presented here. Impressed with deep meaning of this article.Chimney Cleaning in Jamshedpur

    ReplyDelete
  14. Grammar, vocabulary, tenses, indirect speech, passive sentences must always be keep in mind while writing a blog. Everyone must read this blog. This is going to help everyone.Chimney Cleaning in Jamshedpur

    ReplyDelete
  15. Mesmerized article written on this blog with other relevant information. It is straight to the point that how we can improve our skills as well as how we can be represented to a new stream of professionalism.Chimney Cleaning in Jamshedpur

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

The Ukrainian Alphabet and the Soft Sign

The Archaic Language of the Ukrainian Diaspora

Hoisting Beams in Amsterdam