Cisterns in the Old Town, Edinburgh
Starting in 1676, water from several springs near
Edinburgh was piped into
a reservoir at Castle Hill, from where it was conveyed to a total of 14
cisterns on High Street and the nearby area.
In about 1820 these public wells went out of use with the introduction of additional water from another spring and as water was conveyed by pipes to houses.